Cabbage Soup Diet is one of the fad diets which is designed for fast weight loss and requires no long term commitment. It is designed as a seven days program where the dieter will have a strict meal plans with cabbage soup as the main ingredient. The program itself is not new; it first gained popularity in the 1980’s due to its claim of being able to lose 10 pounds weight loss per week.
This is the cabbage soup meal plan that would be followed for 7 days:
Day 1: – Fruit; consist of cabbage soup, fruits (except banana), protein shake, fat burner drink, and water with lemon or herbal.
Day 2: – Vegetable; consist of cabbage soup, vegetables, protein shake, fat burner drink, baked potato, and water with lemon or vegetable juices.
Day 3: – Fruit and Vegetables; consist of cabbage soup, fruit, vegetables, protein shake, fat burner drink, and water with lemon or vegetable juices.
Day 4: – Bananas; consist of cabbage soup, banana, low fat dairy, protein shake, and water with lemon or herbal.
Day 5: – Fish and Tomatoes; consist of cabbage soup, fish or poultry with tomatoes, protein shake, fat burner drink, and water with lemon or herbal.
Day 6: – Poultry Day; consist of cabbage soup, poultry or fish, vegetables, protein shake, fat burner drink, water with lemon or vegetable juices.
Day 7: – Rice Day; consist of cabbage soup, vegetables, protein shake, fat burner drink, mushroom risotto, and water with lemon or vegetable juices.
Notes: There is no limit for the consumption of cabbage soup at any stage of the day, the dieter can eat as much as he wants.
On day three, five, six, and seven, there are no limits for fruit, vegetables, fish, and poultry consumption.
The recipe ingredients of the soup itself usually consist of
- preferred seasonings
The program also forbid alcohol, bread, and carbonated beverages.
Despite the fact that the diet is centered around cabbage soup there isn’t any evidence to suggest that cabbage burns more fat than any other vegetable. The real reason people lose weight on this diet is due to the extremely low daily calorie intake – between 800-1,000 calories. The soup is just the ‘main course’ and the diet would probably work the same way with many other types of vegetable soups as the center piece.
- Fast weight loss; the dieter can expect to lose 10 to 15 pounds at the end of the program.
- Doesn’t cost much; all the ingredients for this diet are easily found and inexpensive to buy.
- Simple; you don’t have to exercise or change anything else, just eat what’s listed on the diet plan for only 7 days.
- Encourage the dieter to eat more fruit and vegetables.
- The extremely low daily calorie of this diet is not a healthy way to lose weight. There is a very small percentage of protein in the diet plan which can actually hurt you due to the lack of proper nutrition. Most people should get at least 1200 calories a day, unless specifically told otherwise by their doctor.
- The diet is quite bland and boring and many people may choose not to eat it after a few days which would make there caloric intake even lower.
- High levels of sodium or MSG contained in the soup recipe could lead to long term health issues.
- There is theory that the weight loss mainly comes from fluid or muscle mass, not fat loss, which will return once the dieter back to the normal eating behaviors.
- Most cabbage soup recipes are very bland and dieters have reported feeling ill just by the smell of this bland soup after their 7 day diet is over.
- Causes gas.
- If you eat out it’s tough to follow the meal plan in a restaurant.
As with everything the field of weight loss is constantly changing as new techniques are explored. Today most people know that starving themselves is not the way to achieve a permanent weight loss and healthy body.
But we all know that the idea of a quick fix can be very appealing so if you think you have to give the cabbage soup diet a try, keep these things in mind:
- This diet is for adult, it is not suitable for children and adolescents.
- This diet is only intended for 7 days. Don’t stay on it for longer than that.
- Talk to your doctor about any health concerns.
- During the diet, keep remind yourself that the program only last for seven days and it will result on significant weight loss.
- Drink at least 5 glass of water per day.
- Try different variety of spices and seasoning to minimize boredom from eating cabbage soup continuously.
- No matter how bored you get with the soup, don’t skip meals. You aren’t taking in very many calories as it is, you can’t afford to lower your caloric intake any more.
- You should probably stay home during your diet. Not only will you feel weak due to your low calorie intake, but you don’t want to have a problem with gas while standing in the line at the grocery store!
- Take your vitamins (and minerals) you have to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Keep track of your progress by using a daily journal.
- Make sure to keep careful track of what foods you are supposed to eat each day.
- Keep steady supply of the ingredients, fruits, and vegetables in your refrigerator.
- Don’t skip your protein shakes. It’s important to maintain your protein levels throughout the diet.
The bottom line is keeping yourself healthy and stay focused during the entire process, you will gain significant weight loss at the end of the program.